The winners of the 2019 Georgina Campbell Irish Breakfast Awards have been revealed.
I’m a sucker for breakfast, especially dining out for breakfast.
I’ll trade any lunch or dinner out for a quality breakfast any day of the week. There’s something special about starting the day on the right foot with a solid meal.
It could be as simple as a poached egg on brown bread; it could be magical buttermilk pancakes with all the fruit and syrup you can handle; or it could be the mother and father of all full Irish breakfasts.
Whatever your poison, the creme of the crop were revealed on at the Irish Breakfast Awards on Tuesday.
Before getting into the list, hat tip to Kilkenny’s own Zuni Restaurant and Boutique Hotel for being highly commended in the 3* Hotel Breakfast category.
When you’re next in Kilkenny, be sure to stop in, the menu is a joy and their French toast with poached eggs is the business.
The Winners: Irish Breakfast Awards 2019
Only dishes that have been made with pride and Irish produce were short-listed for the top prize. Those who are big on local produce for their menues were looked on favourably by judges.
- 5 Star Hotel: Park Hotel, Kenmare, Co. Kerry
- 4 Star Hotel: Marlfield House Hotel, Gorey, Co. Wexford
- 3 Star Hotel: Dingle Benners Hotel, Dingle, Co. Kerry
- Country House: Virginia Park Lodge, Virginia, Co. Cavan
- Guest House: Wineport Lodge, Athlone, Co. Westmeath
- B&B: Bantry House & Gardeb, Bantry, Co. Cork
- Visitor Attraction: Hook Lighthouse Visitor Centre Cafe, Co. Wexford
- Irish Breakfast Menu: Breac.House, Dunfanaghy, Co. Donegal
Also recognised were those behind Ireland’s best breakfast foods.
- Meats: Castlemine Farm, Co. Roscommon
- Fish: Woodcock Smokery, Co. Cork
- Eggs: Clonarn Clover, Co. Meath
- Dairy: Glenisk Organic Dairy, Co. Offaly
- Cereal: Paddy O’s Granola, Co. Laois
- Fruit: Keeling Juices, Co. Dublin
- Irish Bread: Longueville House, Mallow, Co. Cork
Needless to say, I’ll have my work cut out for me this summer in chasing the best breakfast in Ireland with some time off.
Of the top list I’ve managed Wineport Lodge and Hook Lighthouse previously but if you’ve been to any of the other venues awarded, I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.