November begins with World Vegan Day, a day of awareness as much as a celebration in vegan dining and culture.
In terms of food, you’ll no doubt find that vegan dining options are more plentiful these days than ten years ago, five years ago, even pre-COVID times as people shun dairy and meats and other animal products for a more plant-based lifestyle.
Restaurants (for the most part) have moved on from the standard single-choice dish for vegetarian diners to a more enhanced offering with vegan options plentiful in some establishments. For some, it’s a way of life (from food to clothes, to hygiene products), for others it’s a dietary requirement, a health choice or a passing trend – and I mean that last point with the greatest of respect.
However you approach it, vegan dining is on the rise and evidenced by the growing number of restaurants participating in World Vegan Day on Tuesday 1 November.
Some restaurants already have dedicated vegan/vegetarian menus while others are creating dishes just for the day.
As days go, World Vegan Day began in 1994 as a way of marking the 50th anniversary of the Vegan Society – neither today nor yesterday. It also marks the start of world vegan month, encouraging people, diners, and businesses to learn more about veganism and a vegan lifestyle.
Spurred on by Full Irish Vegan, these restaurants in Kilkenny (and there are loads more around the country) will be offering up vegan dishes on Tuesday.
Participating restaurants in Kilkenny
- Café La Coco, Patrick Street
- Cakeface & Face2, Irish Town & Kieran Street
- Fragola Café, William Street
- Kilkenny Design, Castle Road
- Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel, Ormonde Street
- Little Collins CBD Dispensary, Kieran Street
- Muse Coffee & Food, Butler Gallery
- Paris Texas, High Street
- Petronella, The Butterslip
- Ristorante Rinuccini, The Parade
- Rive Gauche, The Parade
- The Cup, Newpark Shopping Centre
- The Cutting Vedge, Ormonde Street
- The Truffle Fairy, Ormonde Street
- Truffles Restaurant, William Street
Most, if not all, of the above offer vegan options every day they’re open, not just for World Vegan Day.